AyubHamid.com

This Is Not Democracy


Democracy means:  rule by the people, which implies rule by the plural majority. Unfortunately, the current election process of Canada defeats this basic rule of democracy. It results in the rule of the country by a tiny minority of the Canadian population. Take the current conservative government for example: this government represents only 16% of the Canadian population.

Here is how: Only 58.8% of the eligible voters cast their vote in the 2008 election, which represented only 46% of the Canadian population. Out of the total voters, only 37.7% voted for the conservative candidates, which comes to only 16% of the populace of the country. Even if we calculate their percentage of vote using the eligible voters instead of the total Canadian population, it still comes only to 22%.

Thus, the country is being ruled according to the wishes of merely 16% of the population whose preference has been thrust onto the rest of the 84% of the population. Is this democracy?

The new British coalition government has realized this injustice and plans to reform the system; should some prudent politician in Canada not make this reform as part of their platform? I hope someone does!
Share/save this article
Post to Facebook Add this to your Twitter feed Submit to Reddit Digg This! Add a Google Bookmark
 

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

You are here: Home Blog This Is Not Democracy

Canadian Institute of Policy Studies

CIPS
CIPS is a national non-partisan, non-profit organization devoted to independent research and innovative policy solutions. It aims to improve Canadians’ quality of life through sound foreign, economic, and social policy.

Join the Mailing List

Join the Mailing List
Islamic Reflections is a believers' forum for studying, reminding, reflecting upon, adopting and practicing the messages of the Qur'aan and Sunnah as well as helping each other do the same.

Connect on Facebook

Connect on Facebook
Add yourself to the Facebook list of people who like this website. This will keep you informed of the updates for Tafseer, articles, events and other matters as well as stay us engaged for the fulfilment of the objective of Deen.